Soonchunhyang Bariatric Surgery Hospital Call Today! 010 8382 6758
SoonChunHyang Hospital (Itaewon)
Department of Surgery, Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Center
Call us today! 010 8382 6758 (English)
Dr. Yong Jin Kim, M.D., Ph.D.
Department of Surgery, Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Center, SoonChunHyang University Hospital Seoul
Executive Board and invited faculty in International Bariatric Club (IBC) Academy
Invited faculty in APELS
IFSO-APC Talent Development and Training Committee
“The Best Doctor” (EBS) appearance on broadcasting on Feb.2017
Does Insurance Pay for Weight Loss Surgery?
Health insurance is increasingly covering many of the costs of weight loss surgery, depending upon a patient’s individual plan. However, specific requirements may need to be met. One of the requirements is that a patient be at a certain body mass index (BMI) to qualify for the surgery. In addition, some patients may need to have at least one major medical condition, such as high blood pressure, diabetes, or sleep apnea. Some insurance plans also require documentation that a patient has attempted weight loss in the previous period of time through traditional methods such as diet and exercise.
- Obesity = BMI of 30 to 39.9
- Morbidly Obese = BMI of 40 or greater
To qualify for insurance coverage for weight loss surgery, patients typically must have either:
- A body mass index greater than or equal to 40
- Body mass index between 35 and 39 and at least one major medical condition, such as respiratory problems (i.e., sleep apnea), diabetes, or hypertension
Before a patient considers weight loss surgery as an option in managing obesity, they should discuss this procedure with a qualified surgeon. In addition, the insurance company should be contacted to determine:
- Which local surgeons/hospitals are covered under the insurance
- If a coinsurance or deductible payment for the weight loss surgery is required by the patient
- If weight loss surgery is covered by the insurance policy
DOES INSURANCE COVER BARIATRIC SURGERY?
Insurance often covers bariatric surgery. While most of the major insurance carriers offer coverage for bariatric surgery, not all policies include coverage. To find out if your insurance policy includes coverage, we recommend three steps:
- Call your insurance carrier and ask if your policy covers sleeve gastrectomy surgery.
- It doesn’t matter which procedure you end up having. This is your first check to see if your policy includes coverage for bariatric surgery procedures.
- Call a local bariatric surgeon or bariatric program and ask if they’ll check if you have coverage.
- Most bariatric programs are happy to check and often have someone on staff that does this on a regular basis.
- Familiarize yourself with your insurance companies requirements for coverage.
- Check your insurance company requirements for coverage
Address: 59 Daesagwan-ro, Hannam-dong, Yongsan-gu, Seoul
Tel: 010 8382 6758
Insurance Inquiry: 02 710 3090
Business Hours: Mon – Fri 09:00 - 17:00, Sat 09:00 - 12:00